Simon was first elected as the Member of Parliament for Brighton Kemptown in 2010.
He served on the BIS select committee and was appointed PPS in DCMS, the Foreign Office and the Department of Health.
He played a part in the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill and was Vice Chair of the HIV/AIDS APPG.
Simon was promoted to the Government Whips office in 2015 and was appointed as Economic Secretary to the Treasury (City Minister) on 16 July 2016.
Ministerial responsibilities include financial services policy and overall strategic relationship with UK financial services, including:
- banking and financial services reform and regulation (at home and in the EU) including the PRA
- financial stability
- financial conduct
- City competitiveness
- bank lending and access to finance
- asset management
- RBS, Lloyds and UKFI
- asset freezing and financial crime
- retail financial services, including consumer finance, financial advice and capability
- Equitable life
- foreign exchange reserves and debt management policy, National Savings and Investments and the Debt Management Office
- departmental minister for HM Treasury Group
- parliamentary deputy on economy issues
You can read more about Simon's work in Parliament and his voting record here: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/simon_kirby/brighton,_kemptown